This week I am sharing my granola recipe. I created this base recipe after reading many different recipes; it is very versatile and you can change it up with most anything. Homemade granola, even though it doesn’t last a super long time, it so much better than the store bought versions. My favorite way to eat the regular recipe was on plain, non-fat greek yogurt. Since I’ve been non-dairy I’ve not had it with yogurt, now I just snack on it for breakfast. Yum!!
2 cups rolled oats
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt (1 tsp if nuts are unsalted)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (& approximately 1/8 c, not packed), to taste
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ to 1 teaspoon almond extract
½ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup walnut pieces
½ – ¾ cup cashews
½ – ¾ cup pistachios
¾ cup golden raisins
½ – ¾ cup toasted coconut
(other ideas: 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/3 cup chocolate chips*, 1/3 cup dried cranberries)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the oats and coconut with cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar, almond extract and vanilla.
- Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them.
- Gather up some of the mixture in each hand and make a fist. Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven.
- Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle the dried cranberries and chocolate chips over the granola and use your hands to transfer it to an airtight container.
- The granola will keep for 1 week.
*if using chocolate chips or other chocolate you will need to let it cool completely before adding to the mix or they will melt.
Did you make this? What did you put in yours? Comment & let me know.